Tirzah


Tirzah

“Reader”

Hem me in behind and before
And lay your hand upon me.
Though man is to pass me by
Still let your eyes fall on me.


“God”

I could not give you what you wanted
But you were not forgot.
If peaceful roads were to be walked
Then what poetry could I have taught?
For in your desperate downtrodden heart
Your broken soul gave way
To the music that rises from your ashes
A deeper soul, a greater way.


Some day when despair grips another
Your heart’s words will cry out
And a broken soul will find a place
To rise up and rise out.


“Reader”

You would not give me what I wanted
But you have not forgot.
How I followed you through the desert
In a land unsown and hot.

Do you remember my thirst
And the longings unquenched.
I filled my eyes with tears
All of me was drenched.

I looked to you in heaven
I scraped my insides out
There in that lonely place
All of me reached out.

I reached out for you.


“God”

Place me as a seal over your heart,
Over your arm,
For love is as strong as death.
It’s Jealousy unyielding as the grave.

I would to walk hand in hand with you
Each and every day.
I could not give you what you wanted
My jealousy would not give way.
I wanted your heart for my own
Your poetry to live.
A perfect life would have taken that from me.
You would have had no music to give.


“Reader”

So then, it is settled,

I will be your Tirzah
I will be your beloved
Your jealousy shall hold me captive
Your eyes shall be my flood.
I will dwell in you
And in you I will live.

You would not give me what I wanted
But you gave me something to give.


By ELL


No comments: